LendingClub Rewards Checking
LendingClub originated as a peer to peer lending marketplace, matching borrowers with investors who would fund the loans. It was founded in 2007 and in its first 10 years of operating, LendingClub had almost $9 billion in loans.
However, in recent years, LendingClub has expanded its product line to create a more rounded banking experience for its customers. Compared to other financial institutions, LendingClub does have a limited banking product line, it offers a solid choice for online personal loans, checking, savings and CDs.
LendingClub aims to streamline the process of managing your money with tools to help track your spending habits, debt and net worth via the online platform and mobile app. LendingClub is an online only financial institution, but it has a comprehensive ATM network across the country, competitive rates and high scores for its customer service.
- Joint Loan Accounts Available
- Minimal Fees
- Excellent App
- ATM Network
- Limited Account Options
- Online Only
- Origination Fees
- High Requirements for Checking Rewards
What is required to open a LendingClub account?
As with any financial institution, LendingClub needs to adhere to the regulations to prevent fraud. So, you will need to provide your personal details and prove your ID and address.
Is my money safe on LendingClub?
LendingClub is FDIC insured, so you are protected up to $250,000 per depositor per account type should the institution fail.
Does LendingClub offer a free checking account?
LendingClub does have a monthly fee free checking account, but if you want to qualify for interest on your balance and cash back on your debit card transactions, you will need to meet the balance and/or direct deposit requirements.
Table Of Content
Money Market Account
LendingClub High-Yield Savings
LendingClub High-Yield Savings
LendingClub only has one savings account offering, but it is an impressive option. This account offers one of the highest available interest rates for high yield savings accounts that is 10-15 times the national average savings rate. The account has no minimum balance requirement and no monthly fees, but you need to fund the account with at least $100 to open it.
The LendingClub savings account is easy to open online and you can fund the account using your debit card or via an ACH transfer. Once your account is opened, you can request an optional debit card that is provided free of charge. There are also two options to manage your account, either using the online platform or via the mobile app available for Android and iOS devices.
The key features of the LendingClub savings account include:
- Earn 4.00% APY on savings with no balance requirements, one of the top high-yield savings plans available.
- Accounts are FDIC insured up to $250,000 per depositor
- No monthly maintenance fees
- External transfers are free with no limits
- Optional free ATM debit card
- You can open the account in just three minutes
- Online and mobile banking to manage your account 24/7
While LendingClub may not have the vast choice of CDs offered by some financial institutions, it does have some great options. While LendingClub only offers traditional CDs, you can choose a one-year, 18-month, two-year, three-year, or five-year term. The minimum deposit requirement is a reasonable $2,500, and the deposits are FDIC-insured.
The LendingClub CDs tie up your funds, and you will incur a penalty if you want to withdraw before maturity. Upon maturity, you will have a 10-day grace period to withdraw the funds or make additional deposits before automatic renewal.
LendingClub CDs offer a safe investment avenue, with no risk to your principal balance and you can lock in your rate for the duration of the term for guaranteed returns. LendingClub also provides access to a finance toolkit of integrated personal financial management tools for easy management of your investment funds and day to day finances.
LendingClub Rewards Checking
LendingClub Rewards Checking
LendingClub only offers one checking account option, but it is a reward checking account. The key features of the LendingClub checking account include:
- Low minimum: You need a minimum of $25 as an opening deposit, but there is no minimum balance after that.
- No Fees: The account has no overdraft, monthly maintenance or incoming wire transfer fees. There are also no ATM fees, since LendingClub will reimburse you for any ATM fees other banks may impose with no limits or maximum refund amounts.
- 1% Cash Back On Your Purchases: However, what really makes this account stand apart from other financial institutions is that you can earn rewards. In addition to the account being interest bearing if your balance is $2,500 or higher, you can earn 1% cash back on your purchases.
To receive the cashback, you need to have had the account open for at least 30 days. The other qualification criteria is that you maintain an average balance of $2,500 or higher in the account or receive at least $2,500 in direct deposits per month. The way to receive cash back is to select “credit” rather than “debit” at in store check out to ensure the purchases are eligible.
- Online Account Features: early paycheck is a important banking feature, which means that you can be eligible to receive your direct deposit paycheck up to two days early. As with other LendingClub accounts, the Rewards Checking is FDIC insured up to $250,000 per depositor.
LendingClub Loan Products
LendingClub is best known for its loans and there are two types of loan products; personal loans and auto refinancing. The LendingClub personal loans are quite flexible and can be used for debt consolidation, home improvements or practically any other purpose. LendingClub also makes it easy to use the loan proceeds for debt consolidation, as you can nominate up to 12 creditors to receive funds directly to simplify the consolidation process.
You can check your personal loan rate on the LendingClub website without impacting your credit. LendingClub will only use a soft credit pull, so you can check the rate and terms. The company will only initiate a hard pull when you proceed and a loan is issued.
The personal loans have a fixed rate with a term of up to five years, but LendingClub does allow joint applications if you are concerned that you may not be offered a competitive rate on your own.
Auto Loan And Auto Loan Refinance Also Avaiable
LendingClub also offers loans for vehicle purchase or refinance. The lender aims to help you to refinance your existing car finance deal to lower your monthly payments.
There are some restrictions about which auto loans may be refinanced, as your vehicle needs to be for personal use only, less than 10 years old with under 120,000 miles and have at least 24 months of payments remaining on your current loan.
If your vehicle qualifies, you can check your rate to see the offers you could prequalify for and there are no prepayment penalties or origination fees.
Upon approval and funding, LendingClub will pay off the lender to make the transition to your new loan, simple, easy and secure.
Pros and Cons of LendingClub
As with any financial institution, there are both pros and cons associated with LendingClub.
Limited Account Options
Limited Account Requirements
Joint Loan Accounts Available
Requirements for Checking Rewards
Loan Direct Creditor Payments
LendingClub does not impose overdraft fees, monthly maintenance fees or ATM charges on its checking or savings account, which can significantly reduce the operating costs of managing your day-to-day finances.
Unlike many checking and savings accounts, you don’t need to maintain a specific balance to qualify for no monthly maintenance fees.
However, you do need a minimum balance or receive direct deposits above a specified level to receive rewards on your checking account, including interest.
LendingClub does allow joint applications for bank accounts and also for loan, which may be appealing to those who may struggle to obtain a competitive rate on their own.
LendingClub has an excellent app and online platform that makes it easy to manage your account 24/7.
If you are using your LendingClub loan to consolidate your debts, LendingClub will send direct payments to up to 12 creditors, which can streamline the consolidation process and reduce additional interest charges on your current loans and credit card debt.
if you’re applying for a loan product, you’ll appreciate that LendingClub does offer prequalification with a soft credit pull. This allows you to check your rate and term without impacting your credit.
If you prefer to compare different options for checking, saving and CD accounts, you may find LendingClub limited, since there is only one of each type of account on offer.
LendingClub is an online financial institution, so you won’t have access to branches or in person support if you have any queries or questions.
Your LendingClub loan may incur an origination fee, which you will need to factor into your calculations to ensure the loan is the best option for you.
While offering a rewards checking account is admirable, the requirements to receive both interest and debit card cash back are quite high.
You need at least $2,500 to qualify for interest and you need to maintain this level of balance or receive $2,500 or more in direct deposits each month to earn cash back.
LendingClub Customer Service Feedback
LendingClub has a solid reputation as a financial institution and for its levels of customer service. LendingClub has a B+ BBB rating and an excellent rating on Trustpilot at 4.8/5.
Customer reviews praise the ease of the application process and the customer service standards. However, there are a few negative comments that note high APR rates, slow funding times and delays to disbursements.
One area where the LendingClub customer service may fall down is the limited avenues of contact. The LendingClub does have a comprehensive help section with answers to frequently asked questions and blog articles. However, if you do want to speak to someone, the only way to access the customer service team is via phone.
LendingClub does have a toll free number, but there is no contact email address on the website, online chat or other ways to access customer support that are common with other financial institutions.
How to Open a LendingClub Account?
LendingClub states that you can open a savings account in less than three minutes, but the basic process for opening a saving, checking, or CD account is similar.
Since LendingClub is an online financial institution, the website has been designed to make it easy to open an account in a few basic steps.
- Click on the Apply Button: The first thing you need to do is find the appropriate product page on the LendingClub website and click the “Apply” button.
- Complete the Application Form: After you click “Apply Online”, you’ll be directed to an online application form. You’ll need to provide some basic personal information, such as your full name, address, phone number, email address and Social Security Number. You’ll need to complete all the mandatory fields, but some fields are optional.
- Provide Supporting Documentation: As with any financial institution, you will need to support your account application with proof of your ID and address. Acceptable documents for proof of ID are government issued ID such as your driver’s license or passport, while you can prove your ID with a utility bill or bank statement. LendingClub will guide you through how to submit copies of your documentation.
- Await Approval: Once you submit your application and supporting documentation, LendingClub will assess your application and provide an approval decision. Depending on the type of account, you may receive an approval decision quickly, but in most cases, you will need to wait a day or two.
Is LendingClub worth it for Joint Accounts?
LendingClub does offer joint accounts, and with minimal fees, you may find it beneficial. They are also included in our best bank accounts for joint accounts.
Can you buy/invest in gold via LendingClub ?
LendingClub does have an investment arm, but there are no direct gold buying facilities.
What's the main reason to skip LendingClub?
If you prefer the option of several account choices to find the perfect checking or savings account or you want to maximize the returns with different types of CDs, LendingClub is not the right choice for you.
Alliant Credit Union