20.24% - 29.24% Variable
Balance Transfer Fee
Good - Excellent
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Amex card is a luxury card with premium benefits for loyal Delta customers.
You’ll receive 3X miles per dollar on eligible Delta flights and Delta Vacations® with 1X miles on all other purchases and a decent welcome bonus of 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $6,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months. Terms Apply.
In addition, there are some special rewards for luxury cards such as
centurion lounge complimentary access, free global entry or TSA PreCheck, annual companion certificate and concierge services.
Cardholders should pay attention to the high annual fee ($550, see rates & fees) and make sure their spending habits can cover it.
- First Class, Comfort+® or Main Cabin
- Free Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Trip Delay Insurance
- Medallion Status Boost
- The Centurion® Lounge
- Free First Checked Bag
- Car Rental Damage and Loss Insurance
- Delta Rewards Are a Bit Dissapointed
- Annual Fee
Can I Get Preapproved?
American Express does allow you to see if you can pre qualify for the Delta SkyMiles Reserve in just 30 seconds on the official website.
What is the Initial Credit Limit?
There is no stated initial credit limit for the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, but there are reports that it can be quite high.
How Much is 10,000 Miles worth?
American Express has a typical average redemption for their miles of about 2 cents per mile. However, this depends on your redemption method, as it can be as low as 1 cent per mile.
When you should Move to the Delta Reserve card?
If you’re a frequent traveler with Delta, the Delta SkyMiles Reserve respectively are a good option. You can get decent rewards, but after the initial introductory period, you may find there are more attractive Delta reward cards available.
Does the Card Insurance Cover Flight Cancellation?
Yes, the card offers trip cancellation/interruption insurance, which provides reimbursement if your trip is delayed or canceled due to a covered incident.
What's the top reason to skip the Delta Reserve?
Although these it's a travel travel cards, if you are looking for cards that offer both travel and other purchase rewards, there are better options on the market. These cards are really only the best option for frequent flyers with the respective airlines.
In this Review
Receive a domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or domestic Main Cabin round trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.
However, payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. Terms apply.
When you pay with your card, you can receive up to a $100 statement credit to reimburse you for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fees.
Even if you don't have Medallion Status, you can get upgrade priority.
When you use your card outside the U.S, you’ll not incur any foreign transaction fees. See Rates & Fees.
If your trip is delayed for more than six hours, you can file a claim for additional expenses. This has a $500 cap per trip and a maximum of two claims per card in a 12-month period *.
Earn up to 60,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year.
After you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 15,000 MQMs up to four times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book a Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
When you use your card to book Delta flights, you can save up to $60 per round trip per person on free first checked bags.
If you use your card to reserve and pay for your entire rental and decline the rental company's collision damage waiver, you'll be protected against theft or damage to a rental vehicle in a covered territory. This is secondary coverage that excludes liability.
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club Access: Not only can you relax or work before your Delta flight or between connections, but you'll also receive two One Time Guest Passes each year, allowing you to share the Sky Club with family or friends when you travel together.
- Statement Credit for In-Flight Purchases: When you use your card to pay for in-flight purchases such as food, drinks, and audio headsets during your Delta flight, you will receive a 20% statement credit.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance: If you pay for your entire trip with your card and it is interrupted or canceled for a covered reason, you can claim up to $10,000 per person for reimbursement of non-refundable travel expenses purchased with your card. During any 12-month period, there is a $20,000 limit per card*.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline: If you are traveling more than 100 miles from home, the Premium Global Assist Hotline can provide medical, financial, legal, and other emergency assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Purchase Protections: Similar to the United Club Infinity, you can enjoy a variety of purchase protections, such as return protection of up to $300 per item and $1000 per calendar year if you are unable to return an eligible item to the merchant within 90 days. In addition, you can get 90 days of purchase protection against loss, theft, or accidental damage up to $10,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per calendar year.
- Warranty extensions are also available for eligible items, providing an additional year on warranties of less than five years when the covered item is purchased with your card.
- American Express Experiences: This program gives members exclusive access to tickets and events for shows, concerts, and other events.
Given that this is one of the most expensive Delta American Express cards, it is a little disappointing that sibling cards offer more generous rewards in some categories.
Similar to other luxury cards, the annual fee is quite high – $550.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Delta SkyMiles?
To get the most out of your Delta SkyMiles Reserve card, try to spend the majority of your money during the first three months. Many of the card's reward benefits are only available for a limited time, so plan your spending ahead of time while you're waiting for your card.
In the long run, you'll need to think about your MQMs, which determine your badge status.
When you reach 25,000 MQMs, you'll be upgraded to Silver SkyMiles, which increases the number of points you'll earn on Delta purchases. The annual companion certificate can also be used to maximize your card's benefits. This entitles you to bring a companion on a round-trip ticket with only taxes and fees.
So, even if you only book a main cabin flight, you could save hundreds of dollars.
Delta SkyMiles can be redeemed for Delta flights, seat upgrades, merchandise, experiences, and gift cards. You must enroll in the Delta SkyMiles rewards program, which allows you to redeem your miles online, by phone, or at a Delta ticket counter.
Transferring your points to one of Delta's partners, such as IHG, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, or Radisson Rewards, is also possible, though a fee may apply.
What Customers Think?
According to satisfied borrowers, the initial bonuses and perks for this card are extremely appealing, especially when compared to other cards in this segment.
However, negative reviews express dissatisfaction with the fact that, after the initial period, the rewards in many categories are lower when compared to other Delta cards.
Bottom Line: When You Should Consider It?
- You Want Premium Travel Perks: You are more likely to travel with a companion because some travel perks, such as lounge access and annual companion certificates, are extended to your travel companions.
- You have a busy three months planned: In addition to the welcome bonus, you can earn statement credit for eligible restaurant purchases during the first three months. So, if you have a busy quarter planned, you could maximize your rewards.
- If you are away from home, you want the reassurance of a hotline: When you travel more than 100 miles from home, the Premium Global Assist Hotline provides a variety of assistance resources.
- You're a flying Delta frequently: in order to get the most of this card, you should fly Delta. If you're already a loyal customer – it may be a good fit for you.
Compare The Alternatives
If you're looking for an airline credit card with premium travel benefits – the Upgrade is definitely a good option, but there are some good alternatives:
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Citi Premier® Card
$695. See Rates & Fees
1X – 5X 5X points on up to $500,000 spent on directly-booked airfare and flights and prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel (per calendar year), 2X points on prepaid car rentals through American Express Travel and 1X points on all other purchases
1X – 10X 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels, car rentals when you purchase through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, immediately after earning your $300 annual travel credit. Also, earn 3x points on dining at restaurants and travel (after meeting the $300 travel credit), then 1x points per dollar spent on all other purchases
1X – 3X 3X points per dollar on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, hotel and air travel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other purchases
80,000 points 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership
60,000 points 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
60,000 points 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
Foreign Transaction Fee
0%. See Rates & Fees.
20.49% – 27.49% Variable
21.49% – 28.49% variable APR
20.49% – 28.49% (Variable)
Yes – the Delta Reserve card offers rental car collision waiver insurance when you pay for your entire car rental with your card and decline the additional coverage at the rental counter. Please review the specific details before, to make sure you're covered as needed.
The Delta SkyMiles Reserve is available for those with good to excellent credit, but there are no specified income requirements. However, Amex will use your income to determine your credit limit, so you may need to provide proof.
Your Delta SkyMiles card miles will not expire, allowing you to accumulate them until you have enough for your preferred rewards.
It is possible to redeem your miles with airline partners for either card. However, you should be aware that you will not get the best redemption rates and fees may apply. The Delta SkyMIles airline partners include Virgin, and KLM.
Review Airline Credit Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express
- Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions, and Limitations Apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company.