The Smart Investor Editorial Guideline & Methodology
The Smart Investor’s editorial team writes on behalf of YOU – the reader. Our goal is to give you the best advice to help you make smart personal finance decisions. We follow strict guidelines to ensure that our editorial content is not influenced by advertisers.
We offer in-depth analysis of how products work in the real world, how to use them effectively, and who they’re best for. While we compile (and frequently update) shortlists of this year’s top picks, we don’t provide a complete listing of every financial product available — just the products we believe are truly the best.
Though we work diligently to ensure all information is up-to-date, financial information changes often and is presented without warranty. As such, the information in our reviews may differ from an issuer’s site. Please consult the issuer’s site for the most current terms and conditions.
The Smart Investor contributors and editors follow a strict set of guidelines
- We do not allow advertising to influence our ratings
- Editorial decisions come only from independent review and analysis, not from any form of advertising compensation. This also applies to star ratings and all of our evaluations.
- We publish only facts and information that we genuinely believe.
- Editorial staff may contact issuers with questions regarding products during writing to ensure articles are factually correct, but this is the extent of contact, and editorial staff never deals with business relationships between Credit Card Insider and advertisers.
- Content is not edited or altered to promote an advertiser over a non-advertiser.
- Be as transparent as possible by revealing all personal affiliations and business relationships
- We look for real data and information about products and services whether the company is an advertiser or non-advertiser. We use this to help with our content and to make sure that we provide the best possible information and updates. This does not affect the ordering of cards, and is intended to provide a better experience to readers by helping them understand requirements before they apply and avoid applications for products that are not a good fit for certain contexts.
- We do not allow our staff to accept any form of gifts from sources, clients or potential sources.
We never allow reviews to be influenced by the advertisers on our site or any other means. All of this information is only based on facts and figures provided and available through our research. The scores and reviews come directly from the data we collect and our editorial expertise.