Table Of Content
Capital One is best known for its credit cards, offering some great perks for cardholders. However, one benefit that you may have overlooked is lounge access. Capital One may be new in the airport lounge game, but it does offer some nice features.
So, here we’ll explore Capital One lounge access in more detail.
How Does The Capital One Lounge Access Work?
While airport lounges are not uncommon, they are typically associated with airlines. However, the Capital One lounge network is designed for Capital One customers. If you hold an appropriate Capital One card, you can enter the lounge and enjoy a place to rest and relax before your flight.
To enter the lounge, you will need to present a boarding pass for a scheduled departure. Unfortunately, you cannot use the Capital One lounge upon arrival. Additionally, you can only access the lounge within three hours of your scheduled departure. This is the official rule, but at low periods when the lounge is not busy, the staff may make exceptions.
However, the Capital One Venture X credit card also offer a Priority Pass and Plaza premium lounges, which allows access to partner network lounges.
The Main Drawback: Limited Locations
Unfortunately, there are currently only one Capital One lounges in the U.S – the flagship lounge opened at Dallas Fort Worth. Later this year, Capital One will opened up two more lounges – Capital One is planning to open a lounge at Denver International Airport's , which will occupy an area of 11,200 square feet but the exact opening date and hours of operation are yet to be determined.
Additionally, a lounge is also planned for Harry Reid International Airport's Concourse D rotunda, but the opening date is unknown. The lounge will cover an area of 7,857 square feet, and the hours of operation are also yet to be determined.
What Can You Typically Find in a Capital One Lounge?
Although the lounge amenities can vary according to the location, you can find a number of amenities that are typical across all Capital One lounges. These include:
- High Speed WiFi: All Capital One lounges have high speed internet that is easy to use. The access is free and unlimited, so you can use it for work or entertainment before your flight departure.
- Excellent Food and Drink: There are a number of dining options at Capital One lounges including dining stations with entrees and appetizers, grab and go convenient dining options and fully stocked bars with beer, wine, liquor and coffee. Capital One also has plans to provide special meal options including gluten free, vegetarian and vegan.
- Relaxation and Quiet Zones: The lounges have plenty of spaces geared towards relaxation, but you can also use semi private work areas which offer plug in access with every seat.
- Shower Suites: If you want to freshen up before your flight, you can use the Capital One lounge shower suites. Complimentary toiletries and towels are provided.
- Exercising Areas: Some locations have space for exercising. This includes yoga, stretching or even cycling with Peloton bikes.
- Family Spaces: Unlike many lounges which are geared towards adults, Capital One lounges provide family friendly comfort. There are family spaces with child friendly furniture.
- Private Nursing Rooms: These provide parents with some privacy to deal with their children’s needs including bottle warmers, lounge chairs with footrests, additional counter space for diaper changes and minifridges with beverages.
These features make VentureX card as one of the best cards for lounge access.
How to Access Capital One Lounges
There are two ways to access Capital One Lounges. The first is by holding an appropriate Capital One credit card. We’ll cover the specific cards in more detail below, but essentially, you could receive unlimited access or a number of complimentary visits per year.
Cardholders may be able to bring guests for free, depending on their card, but if this is not applicable for you, you can bring guests into the lounge for a fee of $45 each.
However, you don’t necessarily need to hold a Capital One credit card, as the Capital One lounges are available to the general public. If you don’t qualify for lounge access via your credit card, you can purchase a visitor’s pass. The current cost of a pass is $65.
It is important to note that anyone can bring children under the age of two into the lounge for no fee.
If there isn’t a Capital One lounge at your departure airport, you may still be able to enjoy lounge access. Some Capital One customers can visit Plaza Premium lounges or the lounges in the Priority Pass network.
Capital One vs Amex Platinum Lounge Access
If lounge access is a priority for you and you’re deciding between applying for a Capital One credit card or an Amex Platinum card, there are some key differences you should be aware of.
While you may be able to use Priority Pass or Plaza Premium lounges, there are only three actual Capital One lounge locations. On the other hand, holding an Amex Platinum card provides access to the Amex Global Lounge collection.
In addition to Priority Pass and Plaza Premium lounges, there are Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClubs, Escape Lounges, Aspire Lounges, Centurion Club and Lufthansa Lounges. This makes it easier to find a lounge at your departure airport.
Both lounge networks offer comfortable seating, work spaces, shower facilities and dining. However, there are some differences in other areas of their facilities. Each Amex Centurion Lounge has its own signature facilities.
For example, some lounges have a spa with complimentary massages, while others may have wellness treatments and therapies. You can schedule a treatment at the front desk of the lounge.
On the other hand, Capital One Lounges have yoga and exercise areas. This includes space for exercising, relaxation rooms with built in audio for meditation, eye masks, earplugs and blankets.
Which Capital One Cards Have Lounge Access?
Capital One offers a broad set of credit cards, but only three cards provide lounge access. These are:
- Venture X Rewards: If you hold the Venture X card, you can enjoy complimentary, unlimited access to Capital One, Priority Pass and Plaza Premium lounges. You can also bring two guests for free.
- Venture Rewards: This card offers two free visits to the Capital One lounges per year. You may also use your free visits in a Plaza Premium lounge. While you can use one of your free visits for a guest, if you prefer, you can pay a $45 fee per guest.
- Spark Miles for Business: This card offers similar benefits to the Venture Rewards card, offering two free visits to either Capital One or Plaza Premium lounges per year, with guest access for $45 each.
The official rule is that you can only access the Capital One lounge up to three hours before your scheduled departure time. However, if the lounge is not busy, the staff may waive this restriction.
There are currently only three Capital One lounges in the U.S; Dallas Fort Worth, Denver and Washington DC. However, a fourth location in Los Vegas has been announced.
If you hold a Venture X Rewards card, you can bring two guests with you free of charge. For additional guests or if you hold one of the other cards, you’ll need to pay a fee of $45 per guest or use one of your free visits for your guest.
If you have any issues with accessing the Capital One lounge, you should speak to a member of the customer support team, either at the airport or by calling the helpline.
Yes, you don’t necessarily need to hold a Capital One card to access the lounge. Members of the public can purchase a visitor’s pass to access the lounge. The current cost is $65. You can purchase a pass at the lounge check in desk.