Table Of Content
Can I Add an Authorized User to My Citi Credit Card?
It is possible for primary cardholders to add authorized users to their Citi cards. In most cases, individuals who fuse their financial lives share a credit card account. They do so to track expenses, remain accountable to each other and build and maintain their credit ratings.
Therefore, if someone is having difficulty getting approved for their credit card, they may build their credit history through addition of an authorized user on another person’s existing card.
The primary cardholder earns rewards from the purchases made by the authorized user, and the authorized user uses the credit card as if it is their own. Also, the user builds their credit score through the usage of the card.
Even though adding an authorized user to an existing Citi card can simplify how you manage your finances, it is important to agree on the responsibility of making payments on any balances.
How Citi Authorized Users Work?
You can add up to 10 authorized users to a Citi card at no fee. This includes the bank’s premium Mastercard, which has an annual fee and includes complimentary admission of all cardholders to Admirals Club lounges.
- There is no minimum age requirement for authorized users, making it possible to add children to your Citi card.
- Citi allows you to include authorized users to your credit card through the bank’s mobile app, a phone call and online. Besides, you can visit your nearest Citi branch and have an authorized user added to your card.
- Authorized users on your Citi card are not legally responsible for the balances they accumulate. If you add an authorized user to your card, you become responsible for any spending on the card.
Therefore, your credit rating could be adversely affected if you do not pay your bill promptly or fail to follow the conditions set out in your cardholder agreement.
The spending by the authorized user contributes towards the card’s bonuses. Also, the purchases by authorized users earn rewards at the same rate as the purchases by the primary cardholder.
Add An Authorized User In 3 Simple Steps
There are different ways of adding authorized users to your Citi card, including online, in person at a branch, over the phone and through the bank’s mobile app.
The online process of adding an authorized user is quick and easy. After completing the process, you give the authorized user access to your Citi card benefits.
Below are the steps of adding an authorized user to your Citi credit card through the financial institution’s website.
- Log into your account: Open your favorite browser and open the bank’s website. Then, login into your account by entering your credentials, then click ‘sign on.’
- Choose ‘Services' and then ‘Authorized Users: After signing on, navigate to ‘services’ tab on the menu bar on the upper part of your screen. On the drop-down, click on ‘Credit Card Services.’ After clicking on ‘Credit Card Services,’ select ‘Authorized users’ to add an authorized user.
- Enter authorized user’s info: Enter the personal information of your authorized user. The information includes the user’s date of birth address and name. You can either input the authorized user’s phone number and middle initials or not. If you have two or more Citi cards, choose the one to add the authorized user. You choose whether the authorized user can access your account by setting your authorized user’s permissions.
- Add authorized user: After providing all the required information to add an authorized user to your Citi card, click on ‘Add’ to finish the process.
Instead of two individuals applying for a card to receive benefits, the authorized user can enjoy the same benefits without paying additional annual charges.
The authorized user enjoys all the benefits enjoyed by the primary cardholder. For example, airport lounge access and the first bag checked free.
Moreover, after an authorized user is successfully added to your Citi card, any purchases add to the rewards balance of the cardholder.
Adding an authorized user to your card helps in building your credit history. Your Citi card information and all authorized users are reported to credit bureaus.
2%* 2% cash back rewards rate – 1% every time you swipe and another 1% upon payment.
Up to $200 None
1X – 3X 3X points per dollar on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, hotel and air travel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other purchases
60,000 points 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
1-5% 5% cash back on your highest eligible spend category each billing cycle up to the first $500 spent and 1% cash back thereafter
$200 $200 cash back after you spend $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening (20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back)
Does Citi Report Authorized Users to Credit Bureaus?
Citi reports authorized users to major credit bureaus such as Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. It reports the authorized users after successfully adding them to a cardholder’s Citi card.
After the bank reports authorized users to credit bureaus, it provides all account activity to the bureaus every month.
Citi takes approximately thirty days to report authorized users to credit bureaus. The information reported to credit bureaus appears on your credit as soon as it is received from the bank.
If your billing cycle ends on the 10th of every month, Citi will report information on your credit card around the same date. However, sometimes, it can take longer, especially for a new account.
How to Remove Authorized User on Citi?
Although adding an authorized user can be done online, in the app or over the phone, Citi can remove authorized users if you make the request over the phone. This implies that you have to call your card issuer to have an authorized user removed.
Therefore, if you decide to call your card issuer to remove an authorized user, you need to inform the issuer that you want the authorized user account closed.
To begin the process, you can call the number on the back of your card. Also, you can call the customer service phone numbers for Citi. Also, you can log in to your account and navigate the account management page. Go to the authorized user’s section, choose the user you would like to remove, then confirm the removal.
After you remove an authorized user from your Citi card, ensure the user is aware. This eliminates a scenario whereby they try using the card and not being able to make a purchase.
What Benefits Aren’t Available to Citi Authorized Users?
Becoming an authorized user on your Citi card is an excellent way of improving your credit score and comes with numerous benefits.
However, some benefits are not available to Citi-authorized users, including:
- Reimbursement for purchases: Every year, Citi Sapphire Reserve cardholders are eligible for reimbursement towards some purchases charged to their account. You or an authorized user can make the qualifying purchase, but you only receive a single allowance on the card account regardless of the number of authorized users on the Citi card account.
- Statement credits: The Citi Sapphire Reserve offers an amount in statement credits when you apply for different programs. You or an authorized user can charge the purchase on your card but the Citi card account qualifies only for a single reimbursement.
Is an Authorized User Liable for Debt With Citi?
No. An authorized user is not legally responsible for accumulated balances. Therefore, if you add an authorized user to your Citi card, you are legally responsible for everything they spend on it.
Your responsibility is to pay your bill on time and abide by the conditions in the cardholder agreement.
Do You Need SSN to Add Authorized User Citi?
No. Citi does not need your SSN to add an authorized user to your card. The process is easy and quick; once you complete it, the authorized user gets access to your Citi card benefits.
Does Citi Deny Authorized Users?
Given that Citi does not charge any fees to add an authorized user and has no minimum age requirement, it hardly denies authorized users.
Therefore, it would help to do due diligence and understand the pros and cons of adding authorized users.
Does Citi Check Credit for Authorized Users?
No. Citi does not undertake credit checks for authorized users. However, the bank reports authorized users to credit bureaus after they are added to the primary cardholder’s card account.