The Wells Fargo Autograph Card is renowned for its simplicity and transparency, offering a straightforward rewards program and a focus on travel and everyday rewards. On the other hand, the American Express® Gold Card is celebrated for its luxurious perks, extensive travel rewards, and exclusive access to events and experiences.
In this comparison, we'll delve deep into these two credit cards, dissecting their key features, rewards structures, annual fees, and additional benefits to help you make an informed decision.
The Wells Fargo Autograph Card is a straightforward cashback card with no annual fee, suited for those who prioritize simplicity and lower costs.
In contrast, the American Express Gold Card caters to individuals seeking premium travel rewards, dining perks, and exclusive experiences, making it an excellent choice for those willing to invest in a card with a higher annual fee in exchange for luxury benefits and rewards.
Point Rewards Clash: A Simple Card Comparison
When comparing credit card rewards, the significant advantage of the Gold card is the high ratio of U.S. Supermarkets and groceries. When it comes to travel rewards, the Autograph card may be even a bit better.
Spend Per Category
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card
Amex Gold Card
$15,000 – U.S Supermarkets
$5,000 – Restaurants
$4,000 – Airline
$3,000 – Hotels
$4,000 – Gas
Estimated Annual Value
63,000 (About $630)
99,000 points ( $600 – $1,600)
Additional Benefits: Comparison
There are some additional types of perks that you will see with both of these cards.
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card
- Cellular Telephone Protection: Receive up to $600 in cell phone protection when paying your monthly cell phone bill with your Wells Fargo card, subject to a $25 deductible.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Coverage for theft, damage, loss-of-use charges, administrative fees, and towing charges when renting a vehicle.
- Travel and Emergency Services Assistance: Access to emergency assistance and referral services while traveling.
- Emergency Cash Disbursement and Card Replacement: Visa credit cardholders can obtain emergency cash advances or card replacements within one to three business days (fees and interest may apply).
- My Wells Fargo Deals: Access personalized deals and earn cashback as an account credit when using your Wells Fargo credit card for shopping, dining, or experiences.
- Zero Liability Protection: Protection against unauthorized transactions when promptly reported.
- Credit Close-Up℠: Provides tools and insights to understand, track, raise, or maintain your FICO® Score.
American Express Gold Card
- Uber Credit: Link your new Gold Card to your Uber account to enjoy an automatic monthly Uber Cash credit of $10, which can be used for Uber rides or UberEats orders, up to a maximum annual value of $120.
- Dining Credit: When you use your Amex Gold Card to pay for dining out at select establishments, including The Cheesecake Factory, Wine.com, Goldbelly, Shake Shack, and Milk Bar locations, you can receive up to $10 in statement credit per month.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Travel worry-free with your American Express Gold Card, as it allows you to use your card abroad without incurring foreign transaction fees, making it a cost-effective choice for international trips.
- Baggage Insurance: When you purchase your entire fare for a Common Carrier Vehicle using your Gold card, you are eligible for baggage insurance. This coverage provides up to $500 for checked bags and $1,250 for carry-on bags in case they are stolen, lost, or damaged (with certain limitations in New York State).
- $100 Experience Credit: Enjoy a $100 experience credit when you book The Hotel Collection through American Express Travel for a getaway of at least two nights. The value of the experience credit may vary based on your chosen property.
- Car Rental Coverage: When you use your Gold Card to reserve and pay for your entire car rental, you can decline the rental company's collision damage waiver. This coverage protects against theft and damage to the rental vehicle in eligible locations, though certain restrictions and exclusions may apply.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers.
Main Drawbacks: How They Compare?
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card
Limited Rewards: The Wells Fargo Autograph Card offers lower rewards ratio on supermarkets and restaurants and does not provide as much value as the American Express Gold Card's Membership Rewards program, especially for travelers and dining enthusiasts.
No Premium Travel Benefits: Unlike the American Express Gold Card, the Wells Fargo Autograph Card lacks premium travel benefits such as travel credits and extensive travel insurance.
Lack of Exclusive Experiences: The American Express Gold Card provides cardholders with access to exclusive events, experiences, and offers, while the Wells Fargo Autograph Card does not offer similar perks.
American Express Gold Card
Higher Annual Fee: The American Express Gold Card typically comes with a higher annual fee compared to the Wells Fargo Autograph Card, which has no annual fee. This can be a significant drawback for those looking to minimize credit card costs.
Less Good For Gas: If you're looking for higher rewards on Gas, the Autograph℠ Card may be better
Limited Acceptance: American Express cards may not be as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard, which can be a drawback when traveling or making purchases in certain locations where merchants may not accept American Express.
When You Might Prefer the Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card?
You may prefer the Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card over the American Express Gold Card in several situations:
- No Annual Fee: If you want a decent card without an annual fee, the Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card is a more suitable choice.
- Limited Travel: If you don't travel frequently or don't prioritize premium travel benefits such as airport lounge access, the Autograph Card may be a more cost-effective and straightforward option.
- You Need 0% Intro APR: The Autograph card offers 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases, so if you're looking for a large purchase soon, this may be a good idea.
When You Might Prefer The Amex Gold Card?
You may prefer the American Express Gold Card over the Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card in several situations:
- Dining and Travel Enthusiasts: If you frequently dine out and travel, the American Express Gold Card offers elevated rewards in these categories, making it a better choice to maximize your rewards and savings.
- Premium Travel Benefits: The American Express Gold Card provides premium travel benefits such as travel credits, and comprehensive travel insurance. If you value these perks, the Gold Card is a more suitable option. You can also add an authorized user to the Gold card.
- Exclusive Experiences: If you enjoy access to exclusive events, experiences, and offers.
- Groceries Spending: If your spending habits primarily involve everyday categories like groceries, the Gold Card's cashback benefits can provide more value than the Wells Fargo Autograph Card's specialized rewards.
Compare The Alternatives
If you're looking for a credit card with everyday purchase rewards or travel rewards – there are some excellent alternatives you may want to consider:
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
$95 ($0 intro for the first year)
1.5% 1.5% cash back on all purchases
1-6% 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) and selected U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% cash back on transit and U.S. gas stations, 1% cash back on other purchases
2X – 5X 5x total points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x points on dining and online grocery purchases and 2x on other travel purchases. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
$250 $200 cash bonus once you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
$250 $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months
60,000 points 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
Foreign Transaction Fee
19.99% – 29.99% variable
19.24% – 29.99% Variable
21.24%–28.24% variable APR