In this Review
The United Quest℠ Card has a higher upfront cost compared to other United cards, with a $250 annual fee. While this may immediately make you prefer its lower cost sibling, it does offer more card benefits.
For a start, there is an 60,000 bonus miles + 500 PQPs after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. In terms of rewards, cardholders earn 3 miles per $1 spent on United purchases immediately after earning your $125 annual United purchase credit, 2 miles on all other travel and select streaming services, 1 mile on all other purchases.
Additionally, you can enjoy free first and second checked bags on your United flights. So, if you don’t tend to travel light, this may be a better card option for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for 0% intro APR card and/or getting rewards on everyday purchases – you may want to shop around for a different card.
On Chase Secure Website
Sign up Bonus
20.99% - 27.99% variable APR
Balance Transfer Fee
5$ or 5% (whichever is greater)
Good - Excellent
The primary cardmember and a companion traveling with the same reservation can receive their first and second standard bags checked free on United flights when you book with your card. This has the potential to save you up to $320 per round trip.
For example, the Citi/AAdvantage Executive card benefits include a first checked bag for free for you and up to eight travel companions.
If you pay with your Quest card, you'll receive a 25% statement credit for purchases of WiFi, food, and beverages made on United flights.
Every year on your membership anniversary, you can receive two United Club one-time passes. You'll have access to workspaces and complimentary snacks and beverages in the United Club.
You can receive up to $100 in statement credit as reimbursement for your application fee every four years if you charge it to your card.
You and your traveling companions on the same reservation will be invited to board your United flights before the general public.
Like many Chase bank credit cards, there are no foreign transaction fees when you use your card to make purchases outside of the United States.
The collection includes over 1,000 luxury hotels and resorts where you can enjoy room upgrades, early check in and late check out if available, and other perks like complimentary breakfast.
- Purchase Credit: Each year, you will receive up to $250 in statement credit as a reimbursement for United purchases charged to your card. This benefit is quite rare and you can find it only on other premium cards such as the Amex Platinum card or the Chase Reserve Card.
- 5,000 Mile Credits: Beginning with your first card anniversary, you'll receive 5,000 miles back into your account when you use your miles to book a United or United Express award flight. Each year, you can receive up to two credits.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance: You'll be covered for up to $6,000 per trip and up to $1,500 per person if your trip is cut short due to severe weather, illness, or other covered events on your pre-paid, non-refundable fares.
- Baggage Insurance: You can claim up to $100 per day for three days as reimbursement for essential purchases if your bags are delayed for more than six hours. If your checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost by your carrier, you'll be covered for up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Trip Delay Reimbursement: If your common carrier flight is delayed for more than 12 hours, you will be reimbursed for unreimbursed expenses up to $500 per ticket.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: The card offers rental car insurance – if you charge your entire rental cost to your United Quest card, you will receive auto rental collision damage coverage for most domestic and international rental cars.
- Statement Credit for United Inflight Purchases: If you pay with your United Quest card, you'll get 25% back on purchases of food, drinks, and WiFi on United flights.
- Visa Concierge: You will receive complimentary Visa Signature Concierge Services.
- Exclusives for United MileagePlus Cardmembers: You can also use your miles to gain access to exclusive experiences such as virtual events or winemaker dinners.
- Purchase Protections: Your new purchases are covered for theft and damage for 120 days, with a cap of $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per year. You can also add a year to the manufacturer's warranty on eligible products.
The annual fee is quite high and stands on $250. The annual fee that is not waived for the first year.
However, this is quite lower compared to other luxury cards such as the Amex Platinum card annual fee ($695).
Given that this is intended to be an upgraded United travel card, it's surprising that no lounge access is included in the package.
For example, the Capital One VentureX lounge access provides the whole Capital One partner lounge network including Capital One lounges, priority pass lounges, and plaza premium lounges.
Simulate Your Rewards: How Much You Earn?
The Quest card provides a decent rate on United purchases as well as many more options for getting travel rewards benefits (car rental, cruises etc).
So, if you fly at least twice a month or spend more than $7,000 on travel purchases each year, the annual fee for the Quest card may be worth it.
Spend Per Category
United Quest℠ Card
$5,000 – U.S Supermarkets
$3,000 – Restaurants
$3,000 – Airline
$3,000 – Hotels
$4,000 – Gas
Estimated Total Points
Estimated Annual Value
How to Maximize the United Quest Card?
There are a couple of things you can do to get the most out of your United Quest℠ Card :
- Prioritize Travel: While you can redeem your United Explorer or United Quest miles for shopping or other rewards, the best redemption rates are usually found with travel deals. So, try to prioritize travel, even if it means waiting to accumulate enough miles for your plans.
- Be Flexible With Your Travel Dates: If possible, try to be flexible with your travel dates as well as your destinations. This will allow you to search through the various redemption options to find the best value for your miles. Try out a few different itineraries to see which one works best for you.
- Don't Assume Miles Are the Best Option: While you may want to redeem your miles, don't automatically assume that doing so is the best option. For example, if you're looking at an economy cross-country flight, it's possible that you'll only get 1 cent per mile. You would be better off paying cash and saving your miles for a better deal in this case.
- Use Your Card On Board: Both cards provide 25% back in the form of statement credit for in-flight purchases such as WiFi, food, and beverages when paid for with your card. If you fly frequently, this could amount to hundreds of dollars per year.
- Use the Referral Program: If you want to boost your mile balance, refer a few family members and friends. You will receive a 20,000 mile bonus for each referral who applies and is accepted. With this program, you can earn up to 100,000 miles per anniversary year.
The United Quest card has a different tier structure for rewards. It gives you three miles for every dollar you spend with United, two miles for other travel, select streaming and dining purchases, and one mile for everything else.
The redemption methods are the same regardless of which Chase United card you choose. You can use your miles to fly to over 1,300 destinations around the world via the Star Alliance network, which includes United and other well-known airlines.
You can also use your miles for car rentals and hotel reservations through the CarAwards and HotelAwards programs. If you prefer to shop, you can use your miles to buy home goods, electronics, and other items from your favorite brands at the MileagePlusAwards website.
What Customers Think?
Customers who have used this card are pleased with the benefits, which more than offset the higher annual fee. If you frequently fly with two bags, for example, you could save up to $320 per roundtrip for you and a travel companion.
Similar issues have been reported in negative reviews for the United Explorer. Redemption can be difficult because you must go through the MileagePlus portal, and it can be difficult to determine whether you're getting a good redemption rate.
Bottom Line: When You Should Consider It?
Here are the main cases you'll want to consider the United Quest℠ Card :
- You are a frequent United Flyer: If you travel frequently, you will quickly offset the higher annual fee and begin accumulating rewards and perks.
- You also want to earn rewards for non-travel purchases: the United Quest card offers a higher reward rate for dining and select streaming services, compared to other United cards.
- You'll accumulate enough points for award flights twice a year: You'll receive up to 10,000 miles back into your account each year in the form of two 5,000 rebates when you use your miles to book United flights. For frequent flyers, this can be a fantastic feature.
Compare The Alternatives
If you're looking for a credit card with airline and travel benefits – the United Quest card is definitely an option, but there are some good alternatives you may want to explore:
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Citi Premier® Card
$695. See Rates & Fees
1X – 5X 5X points on up to $500,000 spent on directly-booked airfare and flights and prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel (per calendar year), 2X points on prepaid car rentals through American Express Travel and 1X points on all other purchases
1X – 10X 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels, car rentals when you purchase through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, immediately after earning your $300 annual travel credit. Also, earn 3x points on dining at restaurants and travel (after meeting the $300 travel credit), then 1x points per dollar spent on all other purchases
1X – 3X 3X points per dollar on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, hotel and air travel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other purchases
80,000 points 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership
60,000 points 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
60,000 points 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
Foreign Transaction Fee
0%. See Rates & Fees.
20.74% – 28.74% APR Variable
21.49% – 28.49% variable APR
20.74% – 28.74% (Variable)
The United Quest card offers auto rental collision damage waiver protection. If you charge the entire rental and decline the collision insurance from the rental company, you’ll enjoy primary coverage against collision damage or theft.
No, The Quest card doesn't have a cap on how many miles you can earn in any statement year.
The Quest card requires good to excellent credit, but Chase does not disclose any minimum income requirements. However, Chase will use your income to determine your credit limit, which may require proof of income.
Yes, Chase uses the Star Alliance network of airlines for its rewards program. So, while you may get additional perks for using your miles for United flights, you can use your miles for flights with a number of other airlines including SkyWest, Trans States, Air Canada, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, and GoJet.
While Chase does send out pre-approval letters for some of its cards on occasion, pre-approval is not available, and you must submit an application and have Chase pull your credit.
The starting credit limit for the United Quest is $5,000. However, depending on your credit limit and income, your initial credit limit may be higher.
This depends on how you redeem the miles. Typically, United flights will offer the best redemption deal and you can expect approximately 2 cents per mile. However, this can be as low as 1 cent per mile, depending on the specific flight or redemption deal.
If you’re a frequent flyer with United, the Quest card will offer some great rewards. If you’re currently not getting good travel rewards and you want to make the most of your travels, these cards do represent a good option.
Yes, you'll get trip cancellation/interruption protection. So, if your trip is canceled by a covered situation, you can claim up to $6,000 per trip and up to $1,500 per person.
The card is specifically designed to offer great rewards for United travel. This does mean that there are not great rewards for other purchases. So, if you’re looking for an all round card for good credit, these cards are not the right choice for you.
Review Airline Credit Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express