Table Of Content
With the market becoming more saturated with credit cards of similar value, one might ask, what makes the Citi Double Cash Card better compared to the other cash-back cards out there?
The Main Benefits Of The Citi Double Cash Card
While the Citi Double Cash Card is not the best card in the market, it's definitely one of the cards you should consider if you're looking for a cash back credit card with no annual fee.
Here are its main benefits:
Rewards appear as ThankYou points and are redeemable for cash back and much more.
Cardholders will see their ThankYou points at the end of each billing cycle after a purchase or eligible payment is made. Users can see this reflected through the Purchase Tracker on their ThankYou Account.
ThankYou points earned through your Citi Double Cash Card will never expire as long as your card is active. There is no max amount of points a cardholder can earn, meaning there are no limitations to your spending. Whenever you swipe your card or make a payment, you earn points.
Points will be accessible and ready for use however you want to use them. Though these points technically never expire, if you decide to stop using your card, be sure and redeem those rewards before the 12-month mark.
If you close your account or transfer to a Citi Card that does not participate in ThankYou points, users have 60 days to spend rewards after their account is closed.
The Citi Double Cash Card is flexible. Users don’t have to worry about selecting categories or spending caps placed on a selected category. All purchases earn the same rewards.
The Citi Double Cash Card is known to be one of the best cash-back cards out there. This card offers a flat rate on all payments- except for balance transfers- making it easy to accumulate points without thinking.
Users earn rewards faster through daily use and can choose to redeem those rewards once they have reached $25 in points or let them build over time. Unlike the Citi Custom Cash card, there is no limit or cap on any category.
This cash-back card is a great choice for anyone who frequently makes purchases across a variety of spending categories, like dining out, travel, gas, and groceries, or for anyone who just doesn't want to bother keeping track of their spending at all.
In addition, the card has a sizable balance transfer bonus offer that includes a 0% introductory APR for 18 months on balance transfers. (after which, the APR ranges from 19.24% – 29.24% (Variable)).
This is a great way to transfer over any existing credit card debt and pay off your balance without incurring additional interest fees. Transfers of balances must be finished within four months of account opening.
You will still be required to pay the larger of a $5 or a 3 percent initial balance transfer fee if you take advantage of the promotion. Only transfers that are finished within the first four months are subject to this cost.
If you need a longer period than what the Double Cash card offers, you can consider the Citi Simplicity card that offers 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases and 21 months on balance transfers. However, it lacks cash back rewards, so overall the Double Cash card is more relevant for most consumers.
The Citi Double Cash Card covers a wide range of protection, ensuring users have the safest experience possible when using their card. You can have peace of mind knowing you are protected.
- 24-hour fraud protection
- 0% liability for unauthorized charges
- Lost wallet service
- D. theft protection
It’s seemingly always a good idea to have more than one credit card to optimize rewards and amplify credit-building. This card is not a travel card, as it does charge a foreign transaction fee, but it is superior for everyday purchases. Having more than one credit card in your wallet is a smart way to redeem as many rewards as possible.
While category-specific cash-back cards offer higher percentage rates in select categories, having a card that earns rewards on everything else is a bonus.
The Citi Double Cash Card is consistent, making it an easy addition to your wallet. Cardholders are rewarded simply by using their card the way it's intended, making it a solid choice as a stand-alone card or a partner to another.
Owners of a Citi Double Cash Card can utilize the digital wallet feature to speed up their online shopping experience.
The card can be uploaded onto your Wallet App through your mobile device and used for online payments or via Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Google Pay. Your personal information and card number are not stored to ensure security
Citibank offers 24/7 customer service for all of its cards. Cardholders can call, live chat on their account or app, or email to receive around-the-clock assistance.
Access to a customer service representative at all times can alleviate the worry that comes with questions and concerns involving your card or account.
Citi® Double Cash Card
Citi® Double Cash Card
How to Maximize Citi Double Cash Benefits?
The Double Cash Card is one of the best cashback cards, and maximizing its benefits is quite easy. The Citi Double Cash Card offers a straightforward method of rewards that can be optimized by simply using your card.
Here is a quick breakdown of this below:
- Use More Than One Card: It’s always a good idea to have more than one credit card. For example, the Citi Double Cash Card is not a travel card, as it does charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, but it is superior for everyday purchases. Partnering a travel card with your Citi Double Cash Card can enhance your rewards system.
- Explore ThankYou Reward Options: ThankYou points become even more valuable for those who own the Citi Double Cash Card and the Citi Premier Card. One of the best ways to optimize credit card rewards is by utilizing its sister card. ThankYou points can be transferred to the Citi Premier Card and redeemed through the many options available via Citi’s Transfer Partners. By combining points from multiple cards, users can reap the most value.
- Use The 0% APR to Pay Off Debt: Those looking to pay off debt can take advantage of the 0% intro APR rates on balance transfers. New cardholders can pay off debt with no interest for up to 18 months while reaping sign-on bonus rewards.
- Set Alerts: Users can access their alert settings through the mobile app or website. Enabling alerts will give you a head start on reporting suspicious activity or unauthorized purchases.
How to Redeem Citi Double Cash Card Benefits
ThankYou points have flexible redemption and are accessible through a cardholder's ThankYou Account. The three primary ways to redeem rewards:
- Cash Back (Direct Deposit/Statement Credit/Check by Mail)
- Gift Cards
- Shop with Points
Though rewards earned through the Citi Double Cash Card are called ThankYou points, this card remains a cash-back card. According to Citi’s website, 10,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed for $100 as a direct deposit, $100 statement credit, or $100 check.
This cash-back can be used towards current or future balances or cashed out via a direct deposit or check to use however you deem fit.
While cash-back is a preferred rewards method by many cash-back card holders, ThankYou points offer much more. Users can redeem points for gift cards and much more through the ThankYou website, where there is a shop with a points section, a travel section, and even the opportunity to make donations with your rewards.
How To Get A Citi Double Cash Card?
Applying for the Citi Double Cash Card is simple. Its application process is the same as any other cash-back credit card, and the application can be found online with a list of requirements to check for pre-approval.
1. Get Your Information Ready
- Personal information: It is necessary to have your current U.S. address, an updated email, and your social security number. The application process may also require creating a security word for an additional layer of protection.
- Financial Information: You will be required to provide your annual income, whether or not any of your earnings are tax-exempt, and your monthly rent or mortgage.
- Credit Score: Though the Citi Double Cash Card is easy to use, it is not easy to obtain. This card requires good to excellent credit- a credit score of 690-850- to be considered for approval. Make sure you're in good standing with your accounts and have a history of paying debt on time and in full before applying for this card.
2. Apply on Citi Website
- Compare Citi credit cards. You may want to compare the Double Cash Card with more Citi cards. Consider a pre-approval.
- Select Apply for the Citi Double Cash Card, select continue and fill out the application.
- Read, review, and agree to the Double Cash Card Terms and Conditions policy.
- Review and accept your offered credit limit and APR.
3. Get Your Card
- Activate your card on the Citi website.
- Begin using the card to make purchases!
- If your application if rejected, review the eligibility policy to receive a Citi card and see what does or doesn’t apply to you.
- Call directly and inquire why your application was declined.
The Citi Double Cash Card is a Mastercard but is not a World Elite Mastercard. This card no longer offers World Elite benefits.
ThankYou points can be used towards travel purchases or transferred to the Citi Premier Card or the Citi Prestige Card- which is no longer open to new applicants.
You can pay off your Citi Double Cash Card balance with cash at any Citibank branch. You can also pay by mail or call a Citibank branch if you prefer to speak with a representative. Most users pay their balance via the website or the app.
Choosing between cash back or ThankYou points is a matter of preference.
Though value varies depending on redemption, a user should choose to redeem their rewards in a way that will benefit them the most. If receiving cash back is your preferred method of redemption, then cashback is best for you.
Review Cash Back Credit Cards
Chase Freedom Flex